Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Had my first advanced photojournalism lesson for this sem. It seems this will be my heaviest subject this time round, what with the raised expectations of the tutor and the horrifying number of assignments coming up.

I have always enjoyed listening to the photojournalism tutor in class. Though he was always too long-winded, what he said always made a lot of sense and at times very inspiring.

Last year, he said: "Money is something you should be least worried about. When you do something with a passion, you do it well, the money will chase you."

Today, he said: "If you just sit there and keep thinking you're not good enough, then chances are you'll forever be mediocre. You are better than you think you are. You don't know how good you are until you go out there and try. You have nothing to lose."

"And what is ego? It may be gone in the morning but it comes back in the afternoon."

*I paraphrased but he roughly used these words.*

To be honest, what he said is not exactly new knowledge but when he said it with such fervour this afternoon, it really made me look at my life with a new perspective. He was telling us these things because very few Singaporean photographers take part in international photo competitions due to lack of self-confidence. Although he believed in the abilities of these local photojournalists, they did not believe in themselves enough.

At that point, I really felt sorry that I haven't been more competitive earlier, more daring to go out to do the things I want to do. I know I lack the same self-confidence as those photogs that he mentioned.

With graduation barely a year away, my direction in life has not been very much decided because I haven't landed my niche in my passion. I swear I am going to work hard on what I believe in from now on or my life will be just remain an empty shell.

Anyway, on a more relaxing note, H and I went to this place on the outskirts of Little India (near Farrer Park MRT) that sells pretty cheap and good French food. The restaurant is called The French Stall and the food is dished up by a former chef from a five-star hotel. Pretty good stuff. Wish we could have more of those escargots and my personal favourite is the tiramisu!! *licks lips* You can get a very decent meal there for under $20 and though the ambience is not superb, it is still a nice place for friends to chill out at.

Am loving my short hair more and more. At least 3 persons have told me I looks better with short hair. *guffaws* I think I may be keeping it at this length or shorter permanently. I just hope my mom (who loves long hair) doesn't bug me too much about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home